Pain Level: Moderate to severe discomfort. 1-2 weeks of pain medication
Swelling: 2-6 weeks
Bruising: No bruising
Numbness: 6 months or more
Bandages: Changed in 2-5 days (sutures removed first 7-10 days)
Work: Return to desk job after 1 week, other jobs 10-14 days
Exercise: Wait 4-8 weeks
Final result: After scars heal, approximately 6 months-1 year
For the first few days after abdominoplasty surgery, the abdomen will probably be swollen and some pain and discomfort may occur which can be controlled by medication. Depending on the extent of the surgery, you may be released within a few hours or remain hospitalized for two to three days.
The incisions will be covered with surgical tape for 2 weeks to insure proper healing.
For faster recovery:
• Walk around every hour or so and flex your feet to prevent blood clots in the calf veins
• Keep your hips gently flexed for the first week to prevent tension on the sutures
• Do not shower until the drains have been removed (sponge baths until drains removed)
• Do not bathe for the first two weeks (showers permitted after drains removed
• Be careful of surgical tape when showering
• Limit any activity that causes discomfort
• Carefully follow your doctor's instructions
See Preparing for Abdominoplasty.